Laura went into rehab on July 14, 2008, but not with the aim of recovery, as she would readily admit. Her alcoholic descent was one she has likened to a phrase used by a Hemingway character in “The Sun Also Rises.” The character in question is asked how he went bankrupt – “Two ways.
- I remember at one of these forts, at the age of ten, finally feeling like I belonged because someone gave me a cigarette to smoke, or more accurately, choke on.
- And I think positive thoughts throughout my day.
- I started a pain practice as part of this small anesthesia group and became quite successful in the medical community.
- I do not remember ever experiencing feelings as I do today.
He stayed out all night, waiting for someone to come and fix it, whistling to himself to keep up his spirits. But eventually, if no one had come, he would have taken his finger out and the water would have broken through in a torrent. The constant sense of danger wasn’t as imminent. You can ask questions about our program, the admissions process, and more.
Sign up to get info about the science behind addiction, the latest trends in addiction treatment, mental health awareness, inspirational recovery sobriety success stories stories, and much more. Zach had a great job, was making “killer” cash, and thought that because he had money, his drug use wasn’t a problem.
- Addiction is a chronic disorder, not a personal failure.
- The stories they have to share can help those who are struggling to see that there is always hope.
- Looking back, this is the first proof that I’d really changed.
- To remain in treatment, though, she had to stay clean.
- My first vacation was a nonstop struggle ~ I could see the beauty of the coastal Carolinas, but I could not feel it.
She had to start from scratch, embracing the spiritual side of her journey. Today, Jules focuses on reclaiming her life, using her long-term sobriety to grow, help others, and seek her own truth. Best known for his roles in 300 and Olympus Has Fallen, Gerard Butler has been open about his struggles with alcohol addiction. He got sober in 2012 and has since become an advocate for recovery. One of the most successful actors of all time, Samuel L. Jackson has appeared in over 100 films. He’s also been open about his alcohol and cocaine addiction struggles, which began in the 1970s. After getting sober in 1991, Jackson has remained so ever since.
People Who Became Successful While in Addiction Recovery
BuzzFeed GoodfulSelf care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. Kelly Osbourne, who previously talked about being sober for six years, revealed in April 2021 that she had suffered a relapse and was working on next steps. Eddie said their research suggests more needs to be done to keep people alive while the healing process works. “They fought to only keep me in for 14 https://ecosoberhouse.com/ days; they didn’t want to pay for 30, and I knew that wasn’t enough for me,” Rasco recalled. “They didn’t want to put me in a halfway house. I knew I needed a half-way house.” Studies show people usually recover, but as with Rasco and Mable-Jones, the process happens slowly after multiple relapses. But in a pattern researchers say is common, Mable-Jones’ illness eventually eased.
- WFS Acceptance Statements, or concentrate on just one.
- It’s been very centering and very sobering — that’s the best word I can use.
- Then, in early 2014; my boyfriend got a DUI with our son in the car.
- Just like I talk about anything else going on in my life, this is a part of me.
- She was being raised in an old world male-dominated society.
At the meeting, she met many others in her situation, and she saw how they were enjoying being substance-free. She says something happened to her at that point, and her mindset shifted. Her main motivation then became staying clean rather than staying in transitional housing. Bill was able to lay to rest all the guilt, shame, resentment, and abuse that haunted him by addressing his childhood traumas. The therapeutic journey of confronting the adverse childhood experiences that permeated his daily life helped him to reduce their significance in his mind. That way, these ACEs no longer pervaded his negative thought patterns. After seventy days, I was discharged and was soon able to return to work under a monitoring contract with PHS.
And like many types of progress, his improvement did not always happen in a straight line. Gina is an outgoing person, hence, her soul that shines through her eyes. Without hearing her story, you would never understand the trials and tribulations she endured to make it to where she is today. People show up, and I’m trying to show up for people too, and be a good person.